Skellefteå is a place where creativity and innovative thought are given space to develop.
Skellefteå, has northern Sweden’s strongest and most technology-intensive industry. Here we have a mix of successful global leaders, high technical expertise and cutting-edge technologies. Skellefteå is a major export city with international visitors from around the world.
Skellefteå is a place where creativity and innovative ideas are given much room to develop. Growing up in an environment where good ideas are appreciated has prepared the ground for many successful entrepreneurs and internationally recognized companies. Skellefteå is today a modern and fast growing region that attracts talented people from all over the world.
Skellefteå’s economy is based on a large private sector. In terms of the size of the municipality, Skellefteå has the largest private sector in northern Sweden. The municipality has a strong tradition of entrepreneurship originating in the rich natural resources – forests, ore and river. The big heavy industries are in mining, wood, energy and metals.
The fastest growing sectors within new business and employment are services sector within ICT and digital media. The expanding service sector, which also includes retail and tourism, is today larger than the heavy industry in number of jobs.
Short facts about Skellefteå
• 6,500 active companies, several of which operate in the international market.
• Large private business sector, accounting for 65% of the employed population.
• Employment rate: 79%, well above the national average.
• Fastest growing branches are company services and tourism.
• Regional specialization: minerals and metals, forestry and wood, rubber and plastic, mechanical industry and energy production.